Stat Counter

Monday 13 July 2015

Hit and Run Driver Appeal

A TEENAGER who was the victim of a hit and run is appealing for the driver responsible to come forward.


Laura McGuiness was driving along the A688 between South Church roundabout and Coundon, near Bishop Auckland, when a red Seat car she was overtaking veered into her lane, hitting her side on.
“It was awful. The driver has just come out into the overtaking lane, forced me across the other side of the road where I nearly went head-on with oncoming traffic and then hit a lamppost - but he did not break or stop,” she said.

“I smashed my window and you can see the shape of the lamppost in the bonnet.”
The 18-year-old, of  West Auckland said a number of people stopped to help after she got out of her car fearing it may be on fire, following the collision on Saturday (July 11) at about 11.30am.
Paramedics took her to Bishop Auckland General Hospital before she was transferred to Darlington Memorial Hospital where she was found to have suffered whiplash and swelling to the back of her neck.
“I look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame,” she added. “I’ve got cuts and bruises so I’ve come off quite well but the way I have hit the lamppost, they said they could not believe I had walked away from it.”
Now she wants to find the driver responsible and is appealing for anyone with information to come forward.
“Somebody must know someone in the street who must have seen the car or must know who it is.
“I’m angry and I would just love to know why he did not stop – for all he knew I could have been dead in that car and he did not stop.”
“He must have seen me because I have damage to my car and red paint on the door so he must have damaged his too.”
Miss McGuinness’ mum, Julie Hill, said she was horrified when she heard what had happened.
“This is somebody’s son or daughter or relative and they must know that they have done this and they need to come forward.”
A police spokesman said enquiries are still ongoing.
Anyone with information is asked to call Durham Police on 101

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/southdurham/bishopauckland/13408867.Teenager__left_for_dead__in_hit_and_run_appeals_for_driver_to_come_forward/?ref=rss